***********************************
9/17/08
As many of you know we always said we were not going to have kids. I can only imagine your surprise. Heck, imagine my surprise! If you recall I always said if Aaron wanted kids I would have to deeply consider it because come on, wouldn't he make a great Dad? So how did we get here?
For monthes (maybe even a year) AP11 kept teasing about me wanting to have a baby. Well on 9/17 after back-to-back teasing sessions I looked Aaron square in the eye and said, "OMG you want to have a baby don't you (there was no denying it, his face was absolutely glowing and petrified)?" He didn't deny it he just said with a boyish quality and a devilish little grin on his face, "Maybe I do." I imediately went off the pill, drove to the drug store, and presented him with an ovulation kit...and he didn't flinch...bluff called...no bluff at all!
Low and behold those little ovulation kits are pretty accurate. Who'd a thunk we would get preganant so quickly. We thought it would take monthes but then on October 21st...
***********************************
October 21, 2008
I tried to gain my composure and not scream. My mind started racing and thinking about cute ways I could tell AP11...everything I wanted to do would have required me to hold my tongue and this was too good to do something like that! "Think ARP11, THINK!" What I came up with wasn't poetic or crafty. It was what it was and it was perfect.
AP11 was in the garage putting things away and I went to the back door and said, "Hey honey can you come into the bedroom, you have to see what came back with us in our luggage." I listened for him to come through the door and called to him and said, "oh, can you grab a roll of toilet paper for the bathroom on your way in?" Again, it wasn't witty okay! He walked down the hallway towards the bedroom with roll in hand passing the bathroom. I stopped him in his tracks and said, "put the roll in the bathroom". He said, "well wait I wanna see". "You will. Put the roll in the bathroom." He just stood there looking at me. Meanwhile I'm SCREAMING inside! "Will you just put the roll in the bathroom please?" There on the toilet I left the test for him to see. I stood in the hallway with my hand over my mouth, tears welling in my eyes, and I heard him say, "NO WAY!"
We met in the middle of the hallway and just stood there and looked at eachother saying over and over again, "no way", "way", "NO WAY", "WAY". It's as if we were both standing at our own personal starting line waiting for the gunshot to go off to begin the race. We were frozen in place by the sheer amazement that we were indeed going to have a baby and then we heard it, "on your mark, get set, GO", we embraced eachother and held on tight. "We" are now 3.
***********************************
Nov 17, 2008
The doc confirmed it...WE ARE TOTALLY PG!
***********************************
12/16/08
We decided to opt for a CVS (Chorionic Villus Sampling). Since I’m OLD they suggest women over the age of 35 have an amniocentesis to check for down syndrome and a litney of other chromosomal defects. We opted to do the CVS because it can be done earlier than the amnio.
Well, long story short and not to get into all the gruesome details it was an unsuccessful attempt. I have a tilted pelvis, they tried, and it just couldn’t be done much to Aaron’s relief; he said it was like watching a magic trick, the doctor kept taking things off the table and never put them back – “where did they go, they just disappeared”.
I was sent home and given an array of drugs to make it all better (anti-inflamatory, antibiotic, and a medication to soften my uterus – this medication made me shake like a crack addict…definitely NOT a winner.)
***********************************
12/16/08
Well, long story short and not to get into all the gruesome details it was an unsuccessful attempt. I have a tilted pelvis, they tried, and it just couldn’t be done much to Aaron’s relief; he said it was like watching a magic trick, the doctor kept taking things off the table and never put them back – “where did they go, they just disappeared”.
I was sent home and given an array of drugs to make it all better (anti-inflamatory, antibiotic, and a medication to soften my uterus – this medication made me shake like a crack addict…definitely NOT a winner.)
So instead we did a 1st Trimester Combined Screening. This is done by the doctor measuring the fluid in the neck, a blood test, and then an AFP test in the 2nd Trimester (Jan 7).
**********************************
12/18/08
Went in so the doctor can take a looksy and make sure the baby is A-okay. Heartbeat – check, movement – check.
**********************************
12/19/08
I think I peed myself! I’m walking out of Nordstom and there was this warm feeling…not one of those good warm feelings, more one of those “what the hell was that?” Back into Nordis I go, off to the ladies room and there is no gentle way to say this but – woosh, lots of liquid and dried blood.
Panic set and after much breathing and focusing I gathered my senses and called the doctor. Then I called Aaron and very calmly told him to get dressed I was picking him up because we had to go see the doctor.
The doctor did another sonogram and there was movement and heartbeat…YAY! He then told us that my body is purging itself of the built up liquid and dried blood from the failed procedure done on 12/16. I was then told to be on modified “bed rest” – no heavy lifting, no walking the dog, you know – take it easy. “We’ll see you on the 30th.”
***********************************
12/30/08
We have heartbeat and movement and the results from the first portion of the 1st Trimester Combined Screening are in and so far so good. This is the good news.
The hiccup. I am now on bed rest for 18 hours a day and I need to drink 128 oz. of water a day for the next 2 weeks. Why, the amniotic fluid is low. This could be a result of the procedure and my body trying to get back up to speed but regardless, rest, water, medication to soften my uterus (not the one that makes me shake like a crack addict), and a positive attitude is what the doctor prescribed.
So, back the truck full of bon bons – Momma needs to get her Jabba on.
***********************************
1/06/09 - 3 months from conception
Panic set and after much breathing and focusing I gathered my senses and called the doctor. Then I called Aaron and very calmly told him to get dressed I was picking him up because we had to go see the doctor.
The doctor did another sonogram and there was movement and heartbeat…YAY! He then told us that my body is purging itself of the built up liquid and dried blood from the failed procedure done on 12/16. I was then told to be on modified “bed rest” – no heavy lifting, no walking the dog, you know – take it easy. “We’ll see you on the 30th.”
***********************************
12/30/08
The hiccup. I am now on bed rest for 18 hours a day and I need to drink 128 oz. of water a day for the next 2 weeks. Why, the amniotic fluid is low. This could be a result of the procedure and my body trying to get back up to speed but regardless, rest, water, medication to soften my uterus (not the one that makes me shake like a crack addict), and a positive attitude is what the doctor prescribed.
So, back the truck full of bon bons – Momma needs to get her Jabba on.
***********************************
1/06/09 - 3 months from conception
Guess who went to the doctor today…AGAIN!
So the new meds the doc gave me didn’t make me shake like a crack addict but they did give me severe headaches. You know the kind that make you wanna throw up and make your teeth chatter uncontrollably. AWESOME. Needless to say I was useless and good thing I was on bed-rest because I was bedridden.
So I called the office to tell them I wasn’t taking them anymore, I couldn’t take them anymore! The doctor requested to see me and back I went in today. What happened, what did he say?
I am still on bed-rest for the next couple of weeks and I’ve still gotta down a gallon of water a day (yippee, cause I’m sooooo thirsty – NOT), and my fluid is UP! He said it’s just below normal but I am making improvements. I was at 2 (some kind of measurement) and now I’m at 5. He prescribed me magnesium to replace the other 2 meds to “calm my uterus”. Apparently my uterus is pissed.
So that’s the latest and greatest. One day I will be able to take walk or take advantage of my pregnancy yoga classes my dear husband got me, but for now I sit, drink, and try not to go insane. All in the name of LOVE for our little Rufus – woah such a weird thing to feel!
***********************************
1/20/09
Let’s NOT freak out!
Sooooooooo, the results from the AFP came back and it showed some abnormalities (possibility of down syndrome and neural tubal defects). Those of you who know and those of you who don’t, let me tell ya, AFPs are notorious for false positives. With that said I went to the “Genetics” doc today to review the results and come up with a game plan.
Whatever you do, DO NOT go online and look up neural tubal defects! Trust me. Aaron and I had the displeasure of seeing what that exactly could mean and after the 3rd pic I asked not see anymore. Totally unnecessary! I understand why–prepare you for the possibilities and all but DUDE, I no wannu!
So the doc came in and did his ultrasound stuff and here are the highs and lows of it.
YAY! My ambiotic fluid is normal! It’s on the low side of normal but it’s normal which means no more bed rest but it doesn’t mean I can start my pregnancy yoga just yet. He wants me to start off slow and work my way up to “normal”. For instance, walking the dog; I usually walk him for 20-30 minutes. I can walk him for 7 minutes. Hey it’s a start.
BOO! There was a little discoloration in the baby’s abdomen (intestines) so we need to do a blood test to see if there might be some type of infection.
Yay the bones are all the right size which bodes well for the possibility against downs.
BOO! Amniocentesis. The only way for us to be sure if there is a problem is to do this procedure. When they first told us they said we couldn’t have it done till I was 19 weeks along. 19 WEEKS, WHY! The doctor explained that in order to reduce trauma he wanted to wait till the amniotic sack fuses with my uterus but instead of waiting 2 weeks for the results they can do something to expedite some preliminary results – usually within 48 hours.
YAY – BOO! The sex of the baby is….oh wait, were not sure, oh wait it’s a…ohhhhhh we’re not sure. Sorryyyyyyyyy!
Again, let’s not freak out. Let’s put positives thoughts out there in the world whether through prayer or good vibes and let’s all be hopeful that this is just another story to tell about how AFPs suck.
**********************************
2/2/09 - 4 months from conception
We had an ultrasound done and all the organs, cranial and skeletal structure look good; the discoloration in the abdomen (which was a possible indicator of downs) test came back negative so we took a couple of minutes to ourselves to discuss it and we decided why tempt the fates, so no go on the amnio!
We are very comfortable with this decision and for the first time I took a deep breath and let out a sigh of relief for our little baby boy.
***********************************
2/17/09
We got a soccer player!
I felt the baby kick on the outside for the first time. I had just eaten a banana and with a pillow propped behind me I felt something? I said, noooooooooo. Then waited and yep there it was again…and again. WOAH, coooooool.
A few nights later I actually saw my shirt move. Sadly Aaron has yet to feel the little kicker. Daddy’s warm hand calms him right down.
***********************************
2/23/09
Back to the genetic doc to check out the progress of the amniotic fluid and the growth of our boy.
So, whaaa happen?
- Amniotic Fluid
- Cause: Amniotic fluid is up from 6 to 9 – they would like to see it between 10-20.
- Effect: I’m not on bed rest but no trips to the grocery store or the mall. No walking the dog. No pregnancy yoga. Just take it easy. - Leaky Leaky Test: So we did a test to make sure any leaky leaky that may be occurring is urinary incontinence and not a rupture.
- Placenta: It’s in the perfect spot.
- Cervix: Perfect size.
- Weight: 1lb 1 oz – right on track! He looks huge compared to 3 weeks ago.
- Gender: He’s still a boy.
- Umbilical cord: We also have an acrobat who is flippin and turnin in there gettin himself all wrapped up in his umbilical cord. DON’T PANIC. The doctor assured me that at this early stage in a pregnancy it’s common, it happens, and he will probably flip his way out of it. He’s already testing his parents!
- Travel: I will see him in 3 weeks and we will determine if I can travel to WI to see the fam. If I were traveling today – no, but in 3 weeks I can be a go for an April 3rd flight.
- Next appointment: March 17 – we will check out the fluid, confirm travel ability, and I will probably be put on a med to insure the babies lung development is A-OK with all this fluid business that’s been goin on.
***********************************
2/26/09
YAY, Aaron felt him KICK! He’s a real mover and this time he didn’t calm down when daddy touched him. In fact he put on a real show and made daddies eyes pop out of his head and in true grand-pa style he said , OH!
***********************************
3/04/09 - 5 months from conception
***********************************
3/17/09
LONG visit today with the genetic doc who said he was thinking about me – I said, I know it’s been 3 weeks since you saw me last. You’re probably going through withdrawls!
So, whaaa happen?
- Amniotic Fluid: Amniotic fluid is down from 9 to 8 so no activity for me and lot’s of water (SHOCKER!).
- Leaky Leaky Test: So we did another test to make sure any leaky leaky that may be occurring is urinary incontinence and not a rupture. And the results are in!
- Placenta: has moved and is a little low now but nothing to be worried about.
- Weight: Our boy is getting big and strong weighing in at 1lb 11 oz.
- Umbilical cord: He’s still testing his parents with his acrobatic trick of wrapping the cord around his neck. Again these things happen and there is nothing to worry about, if I were 35 weeks vs. the 25 weeks that I am now, then there would be a different tale to tell.
- I like to move it move it: This is a really active baby – squirming and kicking but the last few days he’s been…mellow.
- Fetal Monitor: I had the joy of sitting in a recliner wearing a very sexy fetal monitor for about 30 minutes while they monitored his heart and any contractions I might be having. No, contractions – good heart rate but I get to make this trip to the doctors every Tuesday just to make sure he is A-ok. Why? They want to make sure the low fluid and umbilical cord are not hindering his progress. Apparently he didn’t like the monitor cause he was FINALLY kickin up a storm – way to worry your Mom, it was the most AWESOME kicking ever!
- We are gonna PUMP you up!: My baby is on the roids. I had to get a shot today of steroids (which of course my insurance didn’t cover) to help with the development of our little ones lungs. In light of the low fluid, and the fact that his lungs are developing RIGHT NOW, we’re just gonna help him out. So I had to drop-trou and take one in the butt for my little nugget. Oh did I forget to mention that the needle (NO JOKE) was about 2 inches long! Oh oh oh oh and yeah, I gotta go back tomorrow for another one – YAY!!!! Oh oh oh ohhhhh yeah and it BURNED!
- Travel: I will be keeping my burning butt here. Sadly I will not be going to WI to see the fam. I saved this question for last when I was in his office because I knew what was comin. I took a deep breath, wiped my tears, and threw my hands up in the air and said, whatever it takes I’ll do. I’m sad yes not only because I can’t go but truly because I just wanted a little normalcy – something that said, it’s gonna be alright. So I won’t be there soon but I am a phone call/web cam away.
***********************************
3/31/09
Genetic Doc visit with Aaron.
- Amniotic Fluid: Amniotic fluid is up from 8 to 9. So we asked, “when do we really start to worry about this?” To which the doc said if the fluid was at 6 or below, we’d have problems. Hence why I’m being monitored so closely. Low fluid can equal early labor so they wanna keep their eye on our boy. Which means I will be in there on the monitor EVERY Tuesday for the rest of my pregnancy? So if you are looking for me on Tuesday between 8–9, I’m BUSY! I’ll be 28 weeks this Saturday and if I make it to 30 (which I will, Kaz– oh yeah, we’ve decided that’s his name. Get used to it and LOVE it. It is Polish and it means “keeper of the peace”–and I had a talk and he ain’t goin anywhere anytime soon) the baby will be in the 95% success rate realm.
- Weight: Our boy is now 2 lb. 2 oz. Right on target!
- Umbilical cord: Yay the cord is only wrapped around once now!
- He’s Shy: They tried to get a pic of his cutiful face but he just wouldn’t turn to the camera and say “cheese”. Instead he turned away and covered his face with his hands. Little booger, do you think he knows what’s in store for him when he gets out. Mama gonna have the camera surgically attached to her person.
***********************************
4/01/09 - 6 months from conception
Did my Glucose test today. This is the test that tests for Gestational Diabetes (every Mommy-to-be takes it). I don’t know why everyone complains about the “juice” – mine was yummi and tasted like Hawaiian Punch. I’ll get the results when I get the results so I’ll keep you posted.
How was my weight? Instead of gaining 7 lbs this month I gained….NINE! April Fools – which by the way Aaron did not appreciate this joke and hung up on me. LOL! I only gained 2 lbs., 14 lbs. total and she wouldn’t be mad if I saw her in 4 weeks with 4 extra lbs. on me. To which I responded with going home and eating a big bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch – SO GOOD!
Next Doc visit – 4 weeks.


No comments:
Post a Comment